NexTech AR Solutions, a Vancouver, Canada-headquartered developer of VR and AR solutions, has booked a $200,000 profit after selling over 130 bitcoins. The firm justified its decision with the double-spending that allegedly occurred on the BTC network yesterday.
- According to a press release published by the company, NexTech has sold all of its BTC holdings, amounting to 130.187 bitcoins. With today’s prices, this amount is worth north of $4,2 million.
- The sale has come less than a month after the initial purchase – revealed on December 29th, 2020. Despite the relatively short period, though, BTC’s price has expanded, and the firm managed to realize a profit of $200,000 after the sale. This means a 5% ROI in just a little over three weeks.
- However, what’s more interesting is the company’s reasoning for the sale. NexTech CEO Evan Cappelberg said that the decision came after reports of a “critical flaw called a ‘double spend’ may have occurred, which, if true, allows someone to spend the same Bitcoin twice.”
- The executive argued that such a development would undermine the faith in the BTC network. “If the system is built on scarcity and faith in the system, then a ‘double spend’ would eliminate both – essentially destroying the store of value it was meant to be.”
- This alleged double-spending accident raised numerous concerns inside and outside of the community. Nevertheless, Andreas Antonopoulos, among the most popular BTC proponents, debunked the rumor with comprehensive tweets and explanations.
- He called the rumor an “irresponsible publication” and said that the situation was nothing more than two blocks getting mined almost simultaneously.
- Antonopoulos further explained that this was a regular block reorganization instead of a double spend and concluded that “nothing weird or outside the consensus algorithm happened. Bitcoin continues to work exactly as it should.”
- Similarly, Blockstream CEO Adam Back shared Antonopoulos’s conclusion, saying that “there was no Bitcoin double spend. Stop misreporting stuff, seriously.”
Binance Futures 50 USDT FREE Voucher: Use this link to register & get 10% off fees and 50 USDT when trading 500 USDT (limited offer).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter CRYPTOPOTATO35 code to get 35% free bonus on any deposit up to 1 BTC.